Thursday 20 February 2014

Stuck Sketches Feb 15

Yay, another challenge completed.
I'm so happy with this layout. My mum and I are not big fans of the camera and this cute photo was taken by my husband on his phone. You know when you get older it's a matter of take the best of what you have and go with it. I can't remember the last time we had a photo together so I'm cherishing this moment.
Sorry that the actual photo has that reflection in it but the overlay was very shiny and I took the photo outside. I think you get the gist of it though.
This background to my layout came about because I have been cleaning out my stash. I found all sorts of stuff that I haven't used in years. I was just about to get rid of all my chipboard butterflies too when an idea struck me. I remembered last year or so when people started to use left over alphas to create a background for their layout and blended them by painting over the top. I thought well if you can do this with letters why not butterflies. Although I was clearing out I still am a little bit of a hoarder.
So that's how this layout began. I also found a lot of white cardstock in my stash so I thought it wouldn't be such a great loss if I played with the chipboard and used a little cardstock to make a fun background...lucky for me I'm very happy with the result.
After gluing down the butterflies I painted the entire background white. After another coat of white I got out my Heidi Swapp love heart stencil and painted with pale gold. That didn't quite work so I repainted the entire thing white again and wiped away the paint from some of the love hearts. Good thing it's so hot here in Perth at the moment as it didn't take too long for the paint to dry.
I just wanted to mention the acetate banners on this layout. I got these from Spotlight yesterday (gotta keep my stash replenished) and they are Project Life designer dividers by Becky Higgins. They were on sale yesterday (50% off all PL) and I got two packets from $5 each. The two on this layout are from the Midnight Edition. You get 14 dividers in a pack. I also bought the Honey Edition which features clouds, stars, cameras and lots of other bright patterns.
I loved the Hambly acetate that was out a few years ago but it was expensive and I didn't have much. So this is a great boost for my stash and I'm sure it will be well used over the next few months.
Wow, that's more than enough from me.

5 comments:

  1. The background looks fantastic, such a great way to use up stuff. Love your take on the sketch. Thanks for playing along with us at Stuck?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how pretty! I love the background, great job! Thanks for joining us at Stuck?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photo!!! Love it, plus the bits of scraps under your photo :) thanx for playing along at stuck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome background! love it. I also love the black touches. Thank you for playing with us at Stuck?!.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous idea on your butterfly background. I just love it! Great take on the sketch and great photo too. Thanks for joining in with us at Stuck?!

    ReplyDelete